Hi,

So currently we have XEP-0012 which we don't like because of the relative
time semantic, it uses. In addition that it is currently used for two
different purposes:
1. Discover the time a disconnected user last accessed its account (i.e.
was online).
2. Discover when a connected user was last active at the server. (The XEP
calls it idle time, which would be some kind of server access idle time if
i read it right)

Note: XEP-0256 seems to do the same as 2) but using presence.

I suggest we deprecate XEP-0012 and XEP-0256. Purpose 1) can be done using
presence + delayed delivery, like described at
http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6121#page-54. This would automatically use
absolute time.

Don't think 2) is the semantic we ever wanted. Under idle time I understand
the time someone has been away from his machine/device. The most common way
to detect this is missing input (keyboard/mouse/touch). In my opinion
neither XEP-0012 nor XEP-0256 describe such behavior.
That's why I propose to use a new protocol, like this
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14672346/xmpp/extensions/xep-0256-replace.html .

Not to forget the suggested security notice, suggested by Matt, to Date and
Time Profiles on possible geo privacy leak.

Opinions? Feedback?

Cheers,
Tobi