The only issue I can foresee with this approach is if you have 3 messages,
"Initial Message", "Corrected Message" and "Other Message", you could
potential only fetch "Initial Message" and "Other Message" and the client
would not know that "Initial Message" had been subsequently corrected.

Maybe this isn't such a big deal but it could happen?

As I side note, wouldn't it make more sense if XEP-0308 was just called
"Message Correction" rather than "Last Message Correction"?

Regards

Spencer