Hello Peter & community

As I mentioned before, I have an idea on how to make IBR secure. It would work
as follows:

* A manufacturer, or responsible party, would create an account on the xmpp
server, or have an account created for him by an operator. There he/she could
be allowed to create a certain number of accounts automatically.
* The manufacturer would get a shared secret (say an "API Key") identifying the
account.
* Each device or application wanting to perform IBR would have this key
configured.
* When the device or app connects to the server, using IBR, it returns a
registration form, as specified in IBR. But one (or two) of the fields would
contain a challenge.
* The device or application fills in the response field according to the shared
secret and the challenge. Perhaps using OAUTH.
* When registering, the new account would be discounted from the pool of
accounts permitted by the key.
* If a shared secret gets to be known, the manufacturer or responsible party
can just choose to generate a new shared secret (or key).

In this way operatos of the xmpp server can have control of who are trusted to
create accounts automatically. And they in turn have control of how many
accounts can be created, and monitor how many have been created. And it allows
them to create devices without preprogrammed JID:s.

What do you think about such an approach?

Best regards,
Peter Waher