On 2 April 2014 20:12, Peter Waher <peter.wa...@clayster.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I have some questions regarding the Jabber Components protocol. Couldn't
> find anything about it in the XEP. It would be great if somebody with some
> insight could answer:
>
> 1) Regarding TLS:
> 1a) How is starttls used together with the component protocol and stream
> initiation?
> 1b) When? Before or after the handshake?

Components are a "XMPP/0.9" protocol, in as much as they lack stream
features. I think some servers will provide you stream features, including
TLS, if you give a version number (but that's beyond what XEP-0114
discusses). Typically, they're deployed across loopback, so TLS is of
limited use.

> 2) Regarding port number:
> 2a) Is there a default port for this protocol? Is it the same as
> client-to-server communication? Or another?
> 2b) OpenFire seems to use 5275, is this common?

There is no default port. Some servers use a distinct port, others use S2S
(or C2S, or both).

> 3) How about other stream initiation elements, like:
> 3a) features?

Features are not discussed by XEP-0114 at all; see above.

> 3b) sessions?

No, there's no sessions. There aren't, really, in anything.

> XEP-0114 just terminates after the handshake element.

Think of XEP-0114 as a sort of relaying, simplified, S2S.