On Jun 23, 2014, at 12:53 PM, Christian Schudt <christian.sch...@gmx.de> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've read about "XEP-0319: Last User Interaction in Presence" and wonder
> where's the difference to "XEP-0256: Last Activity in Presence"?
>
> For me both cover the same use cases.

Right. XEP-0319 is intended to replace XEP-0256.

> When should a client use one over the other? Ok… for now XEP-0319 is still
> experimental, so a client would prefer XEP-256, but assuming both were in the
> same status, where are the differences?

The issue with XEP-0256 (and XEP-0012) is that it is fuzzy by only including a
'seconds' value, which could be further coupled with a <delay/> element.
XEP-0319 does the simple thing and just states the timestamp that the user went
idle. No need to try and calculate that time based on seconds, stanza arrival
times, and delays. That simplifies the work needed by both clients generating
this data & those receiving it.

It's possible for a server to translate the XEP-0256 data to the XEP-0319
format, see
http://hg.prosody.im/prosody-modules/file/ae1d7665cde9/mod_idlecompat/mod_idlecompat.lua

— Lance