On 23 June 2014 21:15, Philipp Hancke <fi...@goodadvice.pages.de> wrote:

> [...]
>
>  The converse of these - bandwidth efficient, secure/private, RTT
>> efficient - would form our requirements.
>>

> makes sense.
>

>  I'd note a couple of changes to the server landscape might affect our
>> thoughts here.
>>
>> a) As annoying as it is to me, compression seems related to a number of
>> security attacks which are poorly understood in the XMPP community - TLS
>> compression seems to be generally turned off these days, and XEP-0138
>> may or may not be sufficient to mount various attacks. In addition,
>> scalability of servers has reached the point where a major scalability
>> issue is in compression memory usage. So there's a strong argument that
>> mere representational tricks might actually be more useful than they were.
>>

> I slightly disagree here. But not enough anymore to really object.

I would dearly love you to disagree here. Not only because I'd rather like
to be wrong, but it'd be just like the good old days - and in any case, I'd
rather get the debate aired rather than raised later.

In any case, I should probably note that while I'm more open to
representational changes than I was, I'd still prefer something that
remained beneficial if compression is used.

>  b) Security within the XMPP network has improved dramatically over the
>> past few years in terms of authentication and encryption. In addition,
>>

> in the last year I'd say, thanks to the raised level of awareness because
> of the xmpp.net tool.

Certainly much of the improvement is down to Thijs. But we're comparing to
what, 2008?

>  there are several cases where XMPP is used within closed networks with a
>> general trust of peers much higher than is typical on the Internet. I
>> suspect that between trusted peers we can do something useful.
>>

> right. Also, we need to define the trust level required. Which might not
> necessarily be defined by "has a valid certificate" but by "we have a
> business relationship with them so if they do bad things we're gonna punish
> them".

I think the key point isn't exactly what the trust relationship is, merely
that there needs to be one.

>  c) Metadata tracking by traffic analysis seems to be a valid threat; a
>> suitable design would homogenise traffic to a degree, which might reduce
>> the data one can glean from an encrypted session.
>>

> Right. The attack here is an analysis of traffic-over-time which might
> allow an attacker to determine if a certain user just logged in.

Right, and there's perhaps a mitigation here. It's very definitely a minor
point, though perhaps useful.

Dave.