Am 25.07.2014 um 09:22 schrieb Kevin Smith:
On Fri, Jul 25, 2014 at 3:06 PM, Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de> wrote:
XEP-0045, section 7.4 <http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#message>
states:

"Note well that for tracking purposes this service assigns a new 'id' to
each message it generates (here using a UUID as defined in RFC 4122 [18])."

I suggest changing that line to:

"The service SHOULD reflect the message with the same 'id' that was
generated by the client. If the client did not provide an 'id', the
server SHOULD generate one 'id' and use it for all reflections of the
same message (e.g. using a UUID as defined in RFC 4122 [18])."

I agree with the intention, but I think making a breaking change to
xep45 at this point wouldn't be appropriate.

Well, this is not using normative language, just giving a rationale (which is better than any SHOULD without a rationale at least).

However, I don't understand what the service gains by tracking ids here.
It can never "forget" the generated id unless there is an error which seems prohibitive.

If a service does track (somehow) and needs to avoid id collisions between clients, it should probably take the id supplied by the client into account, so it generates the same id for two messages with the same id from the same client.