On 3 Dec 2014 21:11, "Kurt Zeilenga" <kurt.zeile...@isode.com> wrote:

> How does the server, after it has responded to the IQ with a type=result
stanza, communicate errors in processing the query to the client that might
subsequently occur.   What if the server is unable to send any subsequent
stanzas associated with the query?  Is the server expected to hold off
sending the IQ response until it is reasonable assured that no subsequent
errors will occur?  That is, to the time in which has compiled all the
stanzas to sends to the client and is ready to put them to XMPP stream?

> It seems to me that the IQ response really should come last so that the
server is able to indicate to the client whether or not is has successfully
completed the request or failed.   If sent last, then there’s really no
need for a separate <fin/>.

> If the IQ response is not last, there there really needs to be some
method for the server to indicate that it’s not able to provide further
results.

I think I agree with everything written here. Sending the iq last would be
best, I think, though I appreciate that's likely to be a protocol bump.

Dave.