On 16.03.2015 23:06, Christian Schudt wrote:
> Thanks Florian, generally I agree, but please read my answers below.

I was mostly having a modular XMPP client library in mind. Here, if you
advertise support for 'carbons', the library code for forward will be
loaded. And in Smack's case, it's the full 'forward' code, not only the
part required for 'carbons'. But of course, one could split the
'forward' module further, i.e.
smack-extension-forward-<whatIsRequiredForCarbons> and
smack-extension-forward-<everythingElse>, but I don't see a appealing
reason to put some effort into that.

And if you feel like not advertising 'forward' but 'carbons', then I see
no problem with that either. I guess there are no implementations that
actually specify and build a dependency graph for XMPP extensions. So
nothing should break.

Same is true for the jingle file-transfer case. If you feel like
treating a missing 'ibb' announcement as 'jingle filetransfer is
disabled', then there is nothing preventing you from doing so. :) But
IMHO that's not a good idea.

- Florian