On Sat, Mar 28, 2015 at 09:36:50PM -0400, Jefry Lagrange wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I found myself thinking about the process of proposing and editing xeps that
> the xsf implements. I think there are some improvements that could be made
> in order to make the process easier.
>
> These are the main areas which I think are problematic with the current way
> of doing things:
>
>  * git has a learning curve.
>  * xml has a learning curve.
>  * scripts are necessary to convert the xml to readable documents.
>  * Everything is tracked in the same project (scripts, templates,
>    xeps). XEPs aren't tracked as individual projects.
>
> These problems aren't that grave, after all, most of us are developers.
> However, I think it is worthwhile to explore alternatives to make it easier.
>
> I spent the past week working on a wiki page that closely resembles the look
> and feel of xeps.
>
> Here is the url: http://jlagrange.net/wiki/index.php/Category:Extensions
>
> In that week, I learned that by developing your own mediawiki skins and
> extensions, you are able to make a wiki look however you like.
>
> Because wikis were made specifically to track and modify documents, they
> have some features could be useful for us.
>
>  * view and compare history of changes online
>  * user management to allow authors to modify their xeps and nothing
>    more. Or to allow trusted users to help Peter.
>  * rss of changes
>  * easier to edit and see the results without using scripts to convert
>    it to html
>  * discussion pages for each xep
>
> At the very least it could serve a way to make quick prototypes and get
> feedback.

Hello Jefry,

Making the XEP creation/edition process more accessible is a worthwhile
endeavour in my opinion. However, while the wiki format does have its
uses and advantages, I am not sure it would be a great fit for XEPs.

I want to address several points:

- git has a learning curve: yes, but git is not required at all for
  proposing and editing xeps, you only need to clone the repo and
  everything afterwards can be done without git.

- XML has a learning curve, but I would argue that people submitting
  XMPP extensions are already past the required level ;). More to the
  point, the only XML required while writing a XEP is some bare-bones
  XHTML, and writing the metadata.

- Everything is tracked in the same project. Yes, I agree, but the
  consensus seems to be that this isn’t an issue, as there aren’t too
  many changes happening, and maintaining a separate history for each
  XEP would be only more maintenance overhead, currently.

- XEPs already have online diffs

What I find lacking, or counter-intuitive, in a wiki-powered solution:

- The very ability to get all XEP sources in plain text, like we
  currently can.

- Reviewing changes: wikis have this feature, but this would require to
  create several pages per XEP, in order to have the author edit a copy
  of the extension, then having people review them, and finally editors
  can move the copy to the “final” page. This is important for the
  publishing process, because non-editors shouldn’t be able to edit
  published documents.

- Mandatory web interface (this is the biggest issue, for me), both for
  reviews, discussions, and submissions

What I could appreciate in a wiki solution:

- RSS/Atom feeds of changes

- Centralized discussions: the mailing-list is nice to have exchanges,
  but after some time it becomes gruesome to aggregate all that was said
  on a particular extension.

- Possible web-based edition for quick edits to the documents, with
  instant visual feedback.

(Please don’t think that I’m overly negative, I’m just writing down some
quick thoughts)

--
Mathieu Pasquet (mathieui)