I'm in broad agreement with what Kurt writes below.

I think the only point where we differ is that the "does MUC issue new ids"
question is really one we could answer now (and if not directly answer,
certainly fix).

I would also add that using the stanza's id and from attributes, plus a
(possibly server-provided) public tracking identifier for the stream,
should be unique - and in at least most cases where we care we can mandate
it.