On Wed, Sep 30, 2015 at 2:57 AM, Sergei Golovan <sgolo...@nes.ru> wrote:
> Well, It's unfortunate, because XEP-0191 doesn't cover the following case
> I'd consider important: it doesn't allow me to block all messages from
> unknown contacts (contacts not in my roster). Recently, I received a
> fair amount of
> spam from random JIDs on public XMPP servers, so I had to block all
> unknown JIDs. Is there any way to do that without privacy lists?

That's a great use case; I can't say that I've ever used it myself
(what client are you using that actually allows you to do this, by the
way?), but I can see the value in it.

This seems like a great candidate to add to the blocking command, and
something that we should persue if we think that it's a common enough
use case. However, I don't see it as a blocker to deprecating privacy
lists (it's not like deprecating privacy lists instantly means that
all clients and servers will stop supporting it; it's just the XSF
recommending that it not be implemented anymore for new
implementations).

—Sam