From: Thijs Alkemade <m...@thijsalkema.de>
Sent: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 8:28 p.m.
Subject: Re: [Standards] UPDATED: XEP-0333 (Chat Markers)
To: XMPP Standards <standards@xmpp.org>

              On 28 okt. 2015, at 16:50, XMPP Extensions Editor <
edi...@xmpp.org> wrote:
         Version 0.2.1 of XEP-0333 (Chat Markers) has been released.

Abstract: This specification describes a solution of marking the last received,
displayed and acknowledged message in a chat.

Changelog: Fixing typo ("cannot" repeated twice) (JC Brand). (XEP Editor (mam))

Diff:      http://xmpp.org/extensions/diff/api/xep/0333/diff/0.2/vs/0.2.1

                I tried to read this specification today, and it left me rather
confused.
                   From the introduction it is not clear to me how Chat Sate
Notifications +                Carbons is insufficient.
             §4 has two examples where the client queries a server for support,
but the             entire specification reads as if it only applies to
clients.
             Lastly, it says in §6:
             > If recipient does not support the Chat Markers protocol it
SHOULD NOT return an error.
             While it does sound like a very sensible requirement, extensions
shouldn't be             able to set requirements for all implementions that
don't support it.
             Regards             Thijs