On 15.11.2015 17:18, Peter Waher wrote:
> Hello Florian
>
> XEP-0158 is not a good idea for Three reasons: First, CAPTCHA is no
> longer deemed a secure protection against bots (see Google's reCAPTCHA).
> Secondly, it doesn't solve the problem of IoT, with things not operated
> by humans. Thirdly, you don't want clients to have to implement support
> for other protocols, such as HTTP, to fetch images (or audio/video),
> which will make the solution impractical (or even impossible) on devices
> with limited Resources.

Not if the goal is to prevent mass registration of non-human users. Some
captcha like mechanisms still hold strong against automated registrations.

Your IoT case is different. You have non-human XMPP clients. The
question now is: How to distinguish "bad" clients from "good" ones
trying to register. If I where to design an approach how those clients
register an account with an XMPP server, then I would simply make the
client require a secret token for registration. And this can already be
done with XEP-0077.

Or what is your idea how it should work?

- Florian