On 1/8/16 4:02 PM, Christian Schudt wrote:
Hi,

I had a small discussion recently about RFC 6120 § 3.3 Reconnection
[1].

It states "It can happen that an XMPP server goes offline
unexpectedly“… and recommends a first reconnection after max. 60
seconds.

It says to reconnect anywhere from 0 to 60 seconds after being disconnected, but not always the same value. What you write below ("60-seconds truncated binary exponential backoff") implies that the spec says always reconnect after 60 seconds, but that's not the recommendation.

We considered this section to not fit the reality, because in reality
it’s rarely the server,

It might be rare, but when it does happen the reconnection algorithm is important because the "thundering herd" of tens of thousands of clients all reconnecting at the same time can have a significant impact on server performance.

but far more often the client, which looses
the connection (e.g. standby mode, closing laptop, mobile phone
losing connection, etc…) We found waiting for average 30 seconds is
often too long and poor user experience, because the network is
usually available faster than that, e.g. after a user reopens its
laptop and resumes its applications. (e.g. Adium reconnects
blistering fast after network is available again)

What do you think? Should the 60-seconds truncated binary exponential
backoff only be applied, if a client has received <system-shutdown/>
stream error?

I think that's what this section refers to, but making it explicit that this is the recommended behavior in the system-shutdown case would be good.

Can this section be written out more clearly with
regards to client disconnects?

Remember, if a specification is silent on an issue, then it is up to the implementation to do the right thing. So in the case of transient network disconnects, I think clients are free to do what makes sense for their users.

Peter