On 23-05-16 13:28, Dave Cridland wrote:
2) Creation

There's no way to create a room. Given the complexities of room locking
in '45, I'd like to have an explicit create, and I have a reasonably
strong preference (not absolute) to having this directed to the service
rather than a non-existent channel. ("Channel Create Thyself" does not
appeal).

I like the guideline “explicit is better than implicit” [1], so fully agreed here.

What about:

<iq to='mix.cridland.im <http://mix.cridland.im>' type='set'>
   <create channel='some-room-h...@mix.cridland.im
<mailto:some-room-h...@mix.cridland.im>' xmlns='urn:xmpp:mix:0'>
     <optional-configuration-form/>
   </create>
</iq>

I'd like the channel attribute to be optional, and the result to be a
create element with all the optional bits filled in. (ie, include the
channel name and form).

The channel address being optional allows for a straightforward use-case
for creating an ad-hoc multiparty conversation; an absent configuration
form should be treated by the service as "make up some settings suited
to an ad-hoc multiparty conversation".

I assume that the server will send back the address of ad-hoc rooms in the response to this request (much like pubsub node creation), right?

Also, I wonder if the attribute should indeed have the whole JID here, or just the localpart. Also, can a server change the localpart before creating the room?

--
ralphm