On 16.10.2017 20:38, Jonas Wielicki (XSF Editor) wrote:
> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0313.
>
> Abstract:
> This document defines a protocol to query and control an archive of
> messages stored on a server.
>
> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2017-10-30.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards@xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

I was always under the impression that XEP-0313 started as an effort to
produce a lightweight alternative to XEP-0136 (which itself states that
it is "unduly complex"). XEP-0313 may was initially on the right track
to become the missing lightweight "archive handling" protocol, and,
while it is luckily only ~50% of the size of XEP-0136 (7268 vs. 13419
words), it appears to me that it got lost a little bit.

I'm a big fan of lightweight but dense base specifications stating only
the absolute minimal requirements which can easily be extended by add-on
XEPs. Unfortunately XEP-0313 became a little bit bloated in the end. I
will name a few examples below.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

I guess so, but archiving shouldn't be considered in isolation. A prime
example is the "archive catch-up on reconnection" problem, for which we
have some ideas for solutions (MamSub, …). but no champion yet.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

Smack does implement XEP-0313.

None besides the ones mentioned in XEP-0313 § 8.

For most parts yes. But it was recently discovered that it is unclear at
best how MAM+PubSub should work together. It was even pointed out that
it may be even impossible to use MAM with PubSub, since MAM-IDs are not
PubSub Item IDs.

I think references to PubSub in XEP-0313 should either be removed or
clarified before this XEP should advance.

I'd also like to encourage the authors to strip XEP-0313 to a minimum of
what is requirement to perform most use cases. How about refactoring §
6. "Archiving Preferences" into an extra XEP?

- Florian