I agree that for “catch-up”, it’s not particularly useful, but knowing exactly
what messages you’ve seen is.

Makes sense if we see the Archive as Store of all messages we have seen.
I often forget thats that the original idea, because of OMEMO PFS i does not serv that purpose.

Also if we lose our device, and we want a copy of the archive, we would not want to have all groupchats we ever were part of to get our messages back.

So for the backup use case this makes sense.

For the message sync between devices use case its not needed/wanted.