On 7 February 2018 at 08:55, Christian Schudt <christian.sch...@gmx.de> wrote:
> This would follow the "Principle of Least Surprise", since terminating the
> stream may seem a bit harsh for the user.

There are other surprises than just closing the stream, here. If the
client acknowledges more stanzas than the server sent, then we really
cannot know if it's out by merely the delta, or by much more - that
is, if the server sends 10 stanzas and the client acknowledges 20, we
don't know if the client (or, indeed, server) has miscounted by 10,
and all stanzas are acknowledged, or if it has miscounted by 20 and
none of them are.

> Also keep in mind this sentence: "Stream management errors SHOULD be
> considered recoverable".

That was intended, I think, to mean responses to <enable/> shouldn't
result in a closed stream.

It's difficult to recover this one.

We could sent an <iq/> and <a/> together, and wait for the response,
otherwise blocking the stream. Complex, in programming/architecture
terms on the server, but perhaps possible. That would allow us to
resynchronize the counter. Perhaps. That *might* be sufficient to
argue that a stream close with a counter mismatch is a SHOULD rather
than a MUST, but I don't think I'd want to implement it.