Since we're sitting on this for a bit, I'm curious as to what the concerns
with the XSF offering anything that might be considered "legal advice"
actually are.

I'm aware there's always been a lot of "IANAL" around on mailing lists, but
I'm not even clear if that's just a bit of folk-legal or if it has any
useful effect either way.

On the other hand, given that not only is the GDPR itself having
implications beyond simply the EU, but the British Standards Institute
seems to be leading a broad privacy standards effort at ISO, which they
intend

I think having detail of what server operators should consider when trying
to align themselves with the GDPR is useful, and the XSF should be
providing it.

If we have to kick around some weasel wording to avoid it being seen as
definitive legal advice (which the XSF is unable to offer), then we should
figure that out.