On Tue, Jun 12, 2018, at 11:08, Georg Lukas wrote:
> 1) improve the documentation and discoverability of the currently
>    defined / deployed behavior by doing small changes to 0045
>
> 2) improve MUC by introducing new behavior into 0045
>
> 3) create a new groupchat protocol that doesn't repeat any of MUC's
>    errors (i.e. something like MIX)
>
> The PR in question qualifies as 1 and *maybe* a bit of 2, and with an
> according compatibility note I really don't see how it is *harming* MUC.

I meant "harming the MUC ecosystem, implementations, and muc server/client
authors", not harming the spec itself which is made clearer by this addition.

The problem as I see it is that, no matter how simple this change is, it adds
complexity for new and existing implementations. For new implementations I now
have to know the history of this change and know that I can't rely on it as we
discussed before. Even if the language is improved to mention that the lack of
an advertised feature can't be relied upon, it doesn't really change anything.
I still can't rely on it and have to figure out what to do in the case of
servers that don't advertise this feature. Do I just not support it on those
even if they do support this flow? Do I implement whatever workaround I would
have done before in which case why even bother with the feature? Assuming I
already supported the voice request flow this just adds a shortcut I can take
sometimes (which requires more logic in my client). If I didn't support it but
want to, it doesn't make it any easier to support because I likely have to
implement such a workaround anyways.

Also, let's take a step back, why are we doing this anyways? Is this a feature
that's widely used? Is it something that is actually needed to fulfill some
requirement for MUC, or are we just making changes for the sake of fixing
mistakes even though they're not actually a problem?

Finally, let's think about how this affects the future. MIX doesn't have the
voice request flow (I think? I should go back and look, but I'm pretty sure we
decided against that), so do we want to encourage its use now, only to take the
feature away again in the future? This makes the MIX transition harder because
people like to complain when you take features away even if they never used
them before.

> On the other hand, I see benefits in improving the protocol, as it is
> not going to go away soon. I'm also not sure what the alternatives are,
> regarding 0045. Accept it with all of its shortcomings and move it to
> Final to reflect that? Deprecate it without an alternative? Only
> implement new features which can be unambiguously identified by a
> biconditional feature flag in disco#info?

I think I'd be happy with any of these options with the last one being on a
case-by-case basis and with a preference for moving it to final. However,
having an "alternative" implies that something needs to be done to MUC, and I'm
not sure that anything necessarily needs to be done to it right this moment
unless there are more seriouos problems that can be addressed without breaking
things.

—Sam