Dave,

From: Standards <standards-boun...@xmpp.org> On Behalf Of Dave Cridland
Sent: 25 September 2018 21:32
To: XMPP Standards <standards@xmpp.org>
Subject: Re: [Standards] MIX (XEP-0369) channel discovery

Ralph,

As I vaguely recall, the problem wasn't disco#info clashing between MUC and MIX
- as you say, those shouldn't clash.

The problem is disco#items, where MIX and MUC use disco#items to yield entirely
different information. MUC will respond with room occupants, whereas MIX
responds with channel nodes. It's the only clash between the protocols.

[Steve Kille]

Thanks for this clarification.

Seems fair to have the channel nodes be children of an abstract mix node. But
this should only be needed for disco#items, not disco#info.

[Steve Kille]

I wonder:

1.      Is it going to confuse a MUC client if it gets both?
2.      Is there value to any entity in returning both?
3.      If feels a bit ugly to have different behaviour for disco#items and
disco#info

I propose to make the change for disco#info, as Ralph’s argument is clear

I propose to not make any change to disco#items, and add clarifying text as to
why this uses node=’mix’

I can also see a case to remove for both.    Anyone care to argue the case?

Steve