This XEP needs at least a note discouraging the use of the fields "message-
sender" and "message-body" because of privacy implications.

In the wild the field "message-body" is left empty for low priority pushes (in
short: pushes not related to message stanzas containing a body) and set to
something like "New Message!" for high priority pushes.
This is at least needed for iOS apps not having VoIP permissions.

The field "message-count" is ambiguous and should be removed completely or
defined what is counted by it.
The prosody implementation hardcodes its value to "1".

The field "pending-subscription-count" is not used by prosody at all.
I don't know if other implementations use it.

The business rules proposed by Daniel should be incorporated into the XEP as
well: https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2016-February/030925.html

Prosody's implementation rationale for these are explained here: https://
hg.prosody.im/prosody-modules/file/tip/mod_cloud_notify/business_rules.markdown

Cheers,
Thilo