On Sun, Jan 13, 2019 at 2:40 PM, Goffi <go...@goffi.org> wrote:
Future XEPs may extend this, but in case where it's too complicated, implementation has always the choice to not implement it, or to have different features with different backends.

I really don't see how this will work in practice.
1) a client issues a request with "direction"/whatever attribute
2) a server responds with "not-implemented" or some such
3) a client gets stuck? or should it re-send a modified request?

Second problem is that competition in servers is quite high
and if customers/users want the feature then I have to implement it somehow.
That has happened in the past already.

Third problem is assuming SQL-only backend to support the
feature is the wrong approach, in my opinion.