Am Do., 28. März 2019 um 09:48 Uhr schrieb Dave Cridland <d...@cridland.net
>:

> 3) I don't think Andrew's assertion that our current (partial?) solutions
> for his requirements are an overlapping mess ought to be discarded out of
> hand. Cleaning these things up might make a lot of sense.

I dont see an overlapping mess.

We have an old deferred standard IM-XHTML -> We have a potential new
approach XEP-0394
We have an old insufficient way to send media OOB -> We have a potential
new sufficient approach SIMS  (There will always be one more missing attr
that could potentially be useful in a media transfer so i ignore the fact
that Andrew wants to transfer seconds of a audio file, this is easily added)

There is a "lets document the client praxis" kind of XEP-0393 which states
some easy markdown syntax that may be encountered when using XMPP. I see
this as a sort of document where developers can look up some easy markup
stuff that some clients use. I dont see this as a serious approach to solve
all markup needs of XMPP and i dont think it should be further extended.
Yet people will probably use it because they know the syntax from other
IM-Apps. But i dont see this XEP in opposition to any other XEP.

I saw no arguments against 0394 and its approach, as i see it perfectly
fits Andrews usecases.
I dont see that there is a need to enclose each markup element into
reference elements just for the sake of consistency. This would lead to
some horrible inefficient syntax. I think developers can deal with the
syntax that is described in 0394, they will not give up because they dont
find a reference element.

Whats missing from SIMS except some useful attrs?

Regards
Philipp