On Mittwoch, 13. März 2019 16:57:07 CEST Kevin Smith wrote:
> On 2 Mar 2019, at 18:56, Tedd Sterr <teddst...@outlook.com> wrote:
> > 3a) PR #758 - XEP-0060: Expose pubsub#access_model and
> > pubsub#publish_model - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/758
> > <https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/758> Jonas assumes this is still
> > optional, so that existing services aren't suddenly non-compliant; Link
> > confirms.
> As far as I can tell, this is inside an if you do this (OPTIONAL) you SHOULD
> include all the fields, so it’s not clear to me that this is true.
>
> I think I should -1 on that basis, but hoping that someone tells me I’ve
> misunderstood.

I am going over the open PRs and came across this.

So my understanding is that node configuration is dynamic and the XEP lists a
lot of fields which may or may not be supported. My understanding is that a
client can not rely on all of the fields to be there anyways:

> If metadata is provided, it SHOULD include values for all configured options
> as well as "automatic" information such as the node creation date, a list of
> publishers, and the like.

So I read it this way:

- A client cannot rely on a server providing all configured options anyways.
- pubsub#access_model and pubsub#publish_model exist and are configuration
options.
- A server SHOULD include configuration options in that form. The current
example do not show the two existing options. So one could read this PR as
making the example more compliant.

I don’t think this is a breaking change either way; services may support or
not-support arbitrary node configuration options anyways, and clients *have*
to deal with stuff missing in any form in pubsub anyways.

Please correct me if I’m wrong.

kind regards,
Jonas