Am Do., 6. Juni 2019 um 09:09 Uhr schrieb Georg Lukas <ge...@op-co.de>:

> 1.  Tracking of CSNs in the sending clients and suppressing display of
> the bounces. That requires additional logic and (potentially persistent)
> tracking of ephemeral message IDs, or some other ugly hacks like
> encoding the ephemerality into the ID, and it doesn't work over multiple
> clients.

I never liked the behaviour of some clients that would simply show
error messages without any context whatsoever in the chat window.
I prefer clients that track actual messages and mark individual
messages as failed.
You would usually track messages for 'delivery' and 'read' anyway. So
failed is just another message state.

> 2.  Mandating that the bounce MUST contain the original bounced message
> (this is optional as per the RFC), so that the client can suppress the
> error in a state-less way. That will also work better if the original
> CSN is not carbon-copied to the sender's other devices, but the error
> is(*).

Regardless of me preferring (1) as a solution in terms of UX bouncing
the entire error message can come in handy in some instances.
I remember discussions around MUC push.