Hello Marcel,

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 14:59, Marcel Waldvogel <marcel.waldvo...@uni-konstanz.de>
> wrote:
>
> On Tue, 2019-06-11 at 14:23 +0200, Mickaël Rémond wrote:
>> Hello Guus,

>>> I'm not sure if this is _needed_? Without this being a requirement, much of
>>> the complexity of "making this more standard" falls away.
>>
>> Well, I think if the server does not have to approve the value, client could
>> expect to set it to something extreme (like 1s) or useless (like 1 days).
>> The server could thus reply with a different value. And still the server
>> needs to know at which rate the client is expected to send the keep alive.
>> But, yes, it is always possible to do something like that in a non standard
>> way. My point was trying to agree on something to make life of client
>> developers easier :)
>
> The nice thing about TCP keepalives or IQ pings is that there is no need to
> negotiate: Once any of the sides thinks it is time to probe the other, it
> will send out the probe. This will cause the remote idle timer to be reset.
> So naturally, the minimum is chosen and it works even if only one side
> supports the feature.

The problem with XMPP ping is that it does not scale well. Having millions of
connected clients doing XMPP ping is a nightmare.

> BTW: Per-socket TCP keepalive parameters are supported in Linux since 2.4,
> i.e., the beginning of this millenium. (Please note that most systems expect
> the keepalive interval in seconds, but Solaris considers them as
> milliseconds. We have been bitten very badly by this several years ago…)

Yes, but I still think being handle at a low level makes TCP keep-alive not
adequate for the fast detection of connection loss. Without higher level
protocol, we see too many admin complains that it takes hours before XMPP
connections are seen as lost. From a server developer perspective, moving that
at the application level means that we can help and not rely on mobile device
or server configuration / version, etc.

--
Mickaël Rémond