On 17.07.19 15:57, Tedd Sterr wrote:
> *3b) PR #796 - XEP-0368: clarify what happens when a `.` target is
> published* - https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/796
> Jonas: +1
> Link: +1 (definitely!)
> Georg: +1 (this is just a clarification of RFC 2782)
> Dave: [pending]
> Kev: [pending]

This PR adds the following to XEP-0368: SRV records for XMPP over TLS

"""
to <tt>.</tt> (dot), this indicates as per &rfc2782; that the service is
not provided for the given domain. In this context, this means that
Direct TLS is not supported. In this case, the initiating party SHOULD
initiating party MUST NOT perform A/AAAA fallback as per &rfc6120;
(since the service provider has already indicated that the SRV protocol
is supported).
"""

I am not sure about the last sentence, especially,

"""
The initiating party MUST NOT perform A/AAAA fallback as per &rfc6120;
(since the service provider has already indicated that the SRV protocol
is supported).
"""

This assumes that SRV RRs come with a contract stating that if you add
one for a service then you also add SRV RRs for all other possible
provided services. Is that contract written down somewhere? If not, I'd
rather not start adding this semantic on top of SRV RRs in some remote
place like a XEP.

- Florian