Hi,

I tried to enter a room on a bridge, and my client refused to do so,
because the bridge didn't provide the right combination of feature and
identity. As it happened in the past, and XEP-0045 (§6.2 and §6.4) is
very vague on this, I have multiple questions that I'd like to clarify
(and update 0045 accordingly):

1. If you have a domain that hosts mixed entities (both user accounts
and rooms), which features / identities should that service advertise.
This is a problem for protocol gateways, which run on a specific domain
and provide access to both rooms and accounts, but it also affects
certaain xmpp-only deployments (/me looks at xmpp:c...@dino.im?join )

Which subset of the following elements does the domain need to have?

- <feature var='http://jabber.org/protocol/muc'/>
- <identity category='conference' type='text'/>
- <identity category='gateway' ... /> (if it's a gateway)

2. Which of the above elements MUST a room on the domain have?

3. If the room in question does not exist, but would be auto-created on
join, how can this be discovered by a client?

4. Which of the above XML elements should a client use to determine
whether a bare JID is a room? ...whether a domain JID is a MUC service?

5. What is the right order of events for a client trying to determine
whether to add a JID to the roster or to join it as a room?

- Send disco#info to the bare JID
  - success: decided according to #4 above
    - join room / add contact
  - item-not-found: send disco#info to domain JID? Maybe?
    - success: decide according to #4
      - join room / add contact
    - failure: show an error

This is two or three round-trips, and not very elegant. But the shortcut
of sending a disco#info to the domain has led to funny errors in the
past, and sending disco#info to the bare JID is insufficient if it is a
room that doesn't exist but would be created on join.

Greetings,

Georg