On Wed, 9 Dec 2020 at 19:21, Sam Whited <s...@samwhited.com> wrote:

> I believe this is a mischaracterization of my argument. My argument is
> "everything will have a way to get at the underlying bytes, not
> everything will have them pre-converted into code points".

I think this, in particular, is not correct.

The counter-argument - that everything can obtain a sequence of codepoints,
but might not be able to get at a sequence of octets - is more accurate.

In particular, I think anything based on Python would only receive text
nodes as `str` objects, which are codepoint-based, and the {de|en}coding to
UTF-8 is part and parcel of the XML [de]serialization.

If we're counting codepoints and we only have the UTF-8, though, this
should be fairly easy without formal decoding, assuming we do not require
normalization.

> Also "this
> gives us the option to do certain optimizations on systems that support
> them, but using code points doesn't so we should do the thing that is
> the most flexible".

Oh, I agree with this, as a broad principle. But I don't think it's viable
in this case.