Hi,

Remember that URLs are not guaranteed to be globally reachable
(examples: restricted to company network or requiring authentication).
For most users it's not easily understandable if a URL can be reached by
the recipient client or not. Thus sending an URL of funnypics.com
instead of downloading that file and uploading it can lead to unexpected
behavior.

Fetching files from untrusted third-party servers is a privacy
nightmare. We already have this issue with oob file sharing and I
remember a proposal to restrict automatic fetching to known-good servers
or if the domain of the URL matches the domainpart of the JID (or is a
subdomain thereof). This wouldn't work when we want to accept sending
URLs from funnypics.com.

When doing inline sharing, the sending client would want to display the
media inline as well. For this it also needs to fetch the media anyway
and thus calculating the hash would be easy.

Also, especially when sharing image files, it would be great to have a
thumbnail so that you don't have to fetch the full (maybe high quality)
image when not explicitly needed, i.e. on mobile. To generate a
thumbnail, the sending client has to first download the image.

Providing the hash of the file is a good way to allow caching. Thus if
you receive the same meme several times, but from different URLs, the
hash will allow you to only download it once. This is not possible via
ETag, due to ETags not following a common generation scheme.

When receiving a file via SIMS, the URL to the file is typically not
going to be exposed to the end user (instead the inline media or
thumbnail and maybe filename are displayed). Thus when forwarding the
file to another contact, users will typically want to do this directly
instead of through copying the URL. In that case, all the details from
SIMS can be just forwarded as is. I'd also like to mention that it
probably is a rare case (although it may happen from time to time) where
you forward a file without downloading it first.

I don't know any instant messaging client that would have the equivalent
of sharing a URL using SIMS. Some clients do allow sending a URL as a
message and then have the server attach some SIMS-like metadata to that
message. There's also client side generated link previews, but these are
typically not the same as I'd expect SIMS to be used, because links
don't necessarily qualify as media (although I agree media is a very
broad term and thus probably most things that URLs point to are actually
somewhat media).

Currently, when I share an image from my browser on Android, I can just
use the browsers "share image" feature (long press on the image) and
select Conversations. The browser will transfer the image to
Conversations without the need to download it again (might also actually
do another download, but that's another story) and Conversations uploads
it using HTTP file upload as usual.
This works great for me and I wonder what would be wrong with this approach?

Marvin