Hello,

in XEP-0060 §8.5 (https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0060.html#owner-purge) it is said that:

If a service persists published items, a node owner may want to purge the node of all published items (thus removing all items from the persistent store, **with the exception of the last published item, which MAY be cached**).

(emphasis is from me).

That means, apparently, that a service may or may not keep the last item. This uncertainty make the behavior unpredictable thus the caching impossible. I have provided a workaround in the currently discussed protoXEP "Pubsub Caching Hints" (cf. https://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/pubsub-caching-hints.html#purge), but it would be better to get totally rid of this formulation, and make sure that a pubsub node purge remove **all** items.

I've discussed about that on xsf@ muc, and at least on author of Pubsub XEP (Ralph Meijer) tends to agree.

I've proposed a patch to fix that at https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1096, but because the XEP is in Draft and I'm not one of the authors, this needs authors review and/or council approval.

I'm posting here to have some feedback and see if XMPP community agrees to do this fix.

Thanks
Goffi