Old Thread Alert!!

On Thu, 13 Feb 2020 at 04:33, Travis Burtrum <tra...@burtrum.org> wrote:

> In practice, it doesn't matter, the server administrator can't actually
> count on anyone accessing any of the SRV records in any specific order
> because any network could have any types of blocks/constraints on it.
> Therefore pending further comments here I'll submit a PR to propose
> changing:
>
> > Both 'xmpp-' and 'xmpps-' records SHOULD be treated as the same record
> with regard to connection order as specified by RFC 2782 [3], in that
> all priorities and weights are mixed. This enables the server operator
> to decide if they would rather clients connect with STARTTLS or direct
> TLS. However, clients MAY choose to prefer one type of connection over
> the other.
>
> to something like this instead:
>
> > Both 'xmpp-' and 'xmpps-' records MAY be treated as the same record
> with regard to connection order as specified by RFC 2782 [3], in that
> all priorities and weights are mixed. Otherwise clients MAY choose to
> prefer one type of connection over the other.

I propose:

Both 'xmpp' and 'xmpps' records MAY be treated as the same record with
regard to connection order as specified by RFC 2782 [3], in that all
priorities and weights are mixed. However, initiating entities MAY choose
to prefer Direct TLS, including by exhausting all 'xmpps' records prior to
attempting any 'xmpp' records.

Dave.