Hi Kim,

> I don't believe randomizing mechanisms helps. An attacker can simply
> connect multiple times and check if things vary or stay the same.
>
> And given that attackers have unlimited IP addressees via proxies or
> compromised machines, I don't think rate limiting helps much either.
Hmm yes, you are right.

> On the other hand, I'm not sure anyone cares enough to really do this
> kind of thing, there are probably much easier ways to check if an
> account exists.
And yes, that's right, too. Querying for OMEMO keys/devices comes to my mind.
An attacker could even try to establish an OMEMO session without actually
sending any user-visible message to see if a device is online and maybe even
fingerprint the client by observing when the prekeys are refilled.

> I would likely just pick one "common" set of mechanisms to offer for
> unknown accounts, or seed the randomization with something relatively
> stable.
Sounds sensible. I'll update the Security Considerations to include this
approach in a few days.

-tmolitor