On Sat, 22 Oct 2022 at 22:29, Thilo Molitor <th...@eightysoft.de> wrote:

> Again, MattJ already explained this well:
> https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/
> standards/2022-October/038998.html
> <https://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2022-October/038998.html>
>
> SASL2 allows for inlining additional elements into the authentication flow.
> That, like pipelining, reduces round-trip-times.
> To let clients distinguish, which features can be inlined into the SASL2
> authentication flow and which features are supported by the server but can
> not
> be inlined, a new "namespace" for inlinable features is needed.

When I designed SASL2, I designed it such that arbitrary elements could be
introduced anywhere in the flow by having them within SASL2 top-level
elements. I certainly didn't intend to imply that this meant that clients
could inject top-level-elements from other extensions that happened to be
supported without negotiation. I'm not sure where that came from.

> As MattJ says:
> > It's important to stress that, despite calling out XEP-0198 and Bind 2
> > in the changelog and text, this is intended for example purposes only.
> > There is no intention to increase the scope of XEP-0388 to cover which
> > specific protocols can be negotiated (in fact this is the whole reason
> > for introducing <inline/> as an extension point).
>
> The Bind2 update already in our pipeline as well as the XEP-0198 update
> use
> that <inline/> element as specified in our SASL2 update.
>
> In fact, Bind2 has it's own <inline/> element, too.

ISR, for example - XEP-0397 - doesn't need the <inline/> element at all to
handle XEP-0198.

You can argue it's too tied into HT-* or whatever, but the framework for
adding extensions into SASL2 exists already and I'm honestly confused as to
why a further <inline/> is needed here.