On Sat, 19 Nov 2022 at 20:00, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu> wrote:
> Authenticated but unbound connections seem to something worth
> sacrificing if it makes SASL 2 + Bind 2 significantly less complex
> (which I believe it does). Or am I missing an important use case for
> those kind of connections?

I personally can't come up with any use-case for such connections. In
the past it was possible to bind zero, one or many resources on a
stream. Thankfully we've settled on one these days, and I don't see a
purpose for zero or many.

Nevertheless, even with Bind 2 integrating with SASL 2, I don't see
that merging the documents will make anything "significantly less
complex". It could quite easily be argued that the opposite is true.
SASL is about authenticating the stream, and resource binding is more
focused on session establishment. We also trend towards smaller specs
these days (nobody wants another XEP-0045 or XEP-0060 if we can help
it).

Regards,
Matthew