On 31.12.22 13:19, Dave Cridland wrote:

On Fri, 30 Dec 2022 at 19:40, Florian Schmaus <f...@geekplace.eu <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>> wrote:

    On 30.12.22 11:05, Dave Cridland wrote:
     > On Thu, 22 Dec 2022 at 09:23, Matthew Wild <mwi...@gmail.com
    <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com>
     > <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com <mailto:mwi...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
     >     On Wed, 21 Dec 2022, 15:05 Florian Schmaus, <f...@geekplace.eu
    <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>
     >     <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu <mailto:f...@geekplace.eu>>> wrote:
     >         Zash's proposal is, as far as I understand it, just an
     >         optimization
     >         allowing a sending entity to determine if a stanza will
    hit the
     >         limit or
     >         not, without trying to actually send it.
      >
     >     It is and it isn't. Right now, if a stanza is over the limit then
     >     most implementations will close the connection with a stream
    error.
     >     Not closing the connection is non-trivial for implementations if
     >     they want to avoid DoS and use a standard parser.
     >
     > I think this is a good summary of why the <max-bytes/> is needed
    - it
     > allows a sending implementation to alter its behaviour for the
    better.

     > I don't think there's the same justification for <idle-seconds/>,
     > though, is there? What would a sending implementation do?

    Uh, there is much value in the information found in <idle-seconds/>.
    Simply put, it allows the receiving side to delay liveness checks for
    the connection until it has been idle longer than idle-seconds.

Really? So as a client, if a server says that connections can be idle for up to 1800s, you'd not bother checking them for a half hour?

I guess this is up to the implementation to decide.

I can see why the *server* might adapt its liveness checks to match the client's, but this XEP doesn't cover that.

I assume the XEP has also s2s connections in mind? Whereas I am mostly concerned about c2s connections, especially mobile ones.

- Flow