On 07/01/2023 22.15, Maxime Buquet wrote:
On 2023/01/07, Florian Schmaus wrote:
I believe we would be able bring back the good old days where new protocols
ideas could be explored and bootstrapped without being bogged down in
process by having such numberless XEPs and by the XSF to provide the
infrastructure to host, develop and publish those XEPs. And supporting
numberless XEPs is trivial with our existing infrastructure.

I am very much in favour of opening the gates even more.

We're not there yet, but however small this is additional load that will
be put on editors so I'd ensure everybody (in the editor team) is on
board, if it ever gets adopted.

It could be as little as creating an incubating/ directory in the xeps repo. People are then allowed to submit their incubating ProtoXEPs there, e.g.

incubating/protoxep-flow-carbons2/protoxep-flow-carbons2-01.xml

the CI check ensures, amongst other things, that the XML can be transformed to HTML. And our existing automated publishing infrastructure publishes it to xmpp.org/xeps/incubating/protoxep-flow-carbons2/protoxep-flow-carbons2-01.html

Then, if the author of an incubating ProtoXEP submits another revision, e.g., protoxep-flow-carbons2-02, the editors just perform some trivial checks before hitting the merge button. Once a incubating ProtoXEP revision has been merged, it becomes effectively immutable, i.e., later changes to the file are not allowed.

Strikes me as being implementable with a reasonable amount of effort, and, given that it is my proposal, I would volunteer to do it.

- Flow