What ever you do please don’t rename the <proceed/> and <accept/>
elements. Proceed should continue to be the 'main' element that tells
the initiator to proceed with the jingle handshake. Anything else will
just be a nightmare to talk about because you would always have to
specific if you are talking about version 0.3 <accept/> or version 0.5

Assuming this semantic I think they are generally three possible
options on what to do with the (now obsolete) <accept/>

1) Keep sending it in a separate message addressed to your own devices
2) Simple don’t send it
3) Send accept and proceed in one message

I think we can agree that (2) would be the cleanest solution if we
weren’t worried about backward compatibility.
(1) would undeniably offer the best backward compatibility as this is
what most implementations currently do. So the question is does (3)
actually offer sufficient backward compatibility: The <accept/> will
be addressed to the wrong address so any pedantic implementation will
just discard it[1]. Having two JMI elements in one message is also
highly unusual and I bet that a lot of implementations will just parse
one of them.

Assuming that (3) won’t perfectly do what you hope it does I’m
advocating for a mix of (1) and (2) with (2) being the ultimate goal.
I think parsing the carbon copied proceed is a relatively minor change
that implementations can ship as a 'bug fix' of sorts. In fact
Conversations already does parse the carbon copied <proceed/>. A
device that keeps ringing sounds like something one could tolerate for
a short migration period.

Besides nobody stops you from sending the accept (with a no-store)
hint for a migration period while advocating for other clients to rely
on the carbon copied proceed. That’s what I mean by 'mix of (1) and
(2)'. (2) don’t send it is what the XEP says. (1) is what some clients
might do for a migration period. But those client will be 'wrong' and
will require minor fixing.

cheers
Daniel

[1]: