On 01/12/2023 03.46, Stephen Paul Weber wrote:
Has this been discussed much before?  SCE clearly calls out OX as inspiration, but especially since both are still experimental would it not make sense to "reverse the arrow" and have OX be a profile of SCE?

Yes this is probably sensible.

However, OX-based-on-SCE is an excellent example of a breaking change that we should introduce together with other backward incompatible changes of the OX protocol. Because bumping OX's namespace just for this alone would not be justified, as the price one has to pay for a namespace bump is pretty high.

I assume the effort that comes with a namespace bump is why some people believe we should introduce breaking changes without a namespace bump for experimental XEPs [1]. Nevertheless, the cost of the resulting interoperability chaos is far higher than proper namespace bumps.

The fact that the OX XEP is experimental does not mean we can introduce breaking changes without namespace bumps. What matters is how long the specification exists, if there are existing implementations, and, most importantly, if the specification communicates that it can change in an incompatible way without a namespace bump.

Two adjustments can vastly improve our standards process.

1. Introduce a pre-experimental phase for XEPs similar to IETF's I-Ds, where the XEPs do not have a number, do not require council approval, and changes do not require a namespace bump. Of course, the XEP's header must clearly and visibly state these conditions.

2. Properly gather breaking changes for XEPs. We failed to do so, for example, with MAM, where we had a namespace bump for a minor change, only to introduce another bump afterward (IIRC, it was mam:2 to mam:3). This could be achieved by having a staging area for new namespace versions of XEPs, where the new namespace is xepshortname:3-SNAPSHOT (or, -NEXT, or whatever) [2].

- Flow

1: I know that you did not explicitly ask for this. But pointing out that the XEP is experimental could be interpreted as hinting towards this. 2: Yes, this appears similar to the :tmp namespaces we once had. And we stopped using them for a good reason. However, if my memory serves me right, they where differently used.