On Thu, 11 Jan 2024 at 12:39, Holger Weiß <hol...@zedat.fu-berlin.de> wrote:

> * Simon Josefsson <si...@josefsson.org> [2024-01-11 13:10]:
> >I believe tls-server-end-point is generally best left unimplemented to
> >guide efforts towards supporting the stronger tls-exporter.
>
> One use case I see for tls-server-end-point is that it allows for
> supporting channel binding by setups where TLS is terminated by some
> reverse proxy, thereby protecting against _some_ but not all attack
> vectors that tls-exporter protects against.

I'm pretty sure this was a key reason we picked the approach. If TLS is
terminated before the server ever sees it, the server can still be
configured to handle tls-server-end-point.

It's not, of course, really channel binding - it's not binding to the
channel itself at all - but it does give some of the protection real
channel binding would.

Dave.