On Sun, 10 Mar 2024 at 15:19, Daniel Gultsch <dan...@gultsch.de> wrote:

> This message constitutes notice of a Last Call for comments on
> XEP-0360.
>
> Title: Nonzas (are not Stanzas)
> Abstract:
> This specification defines the term "Nonza", describing every top
> level stream element that is not a Stanza.

> This Last Call begins today and shall end at the close of business on
> 2024-03-25.
>
> Please consider the following questions during this Last Call and send
> your feedback to the standards@xmpp.org discussion list:
>
> 1. Is this specification needed to fill gaps in the XMPP protocol
> stack or to clarify an existing protocol?

No.

Many of you have heard my views on this before. I argued against this XEP
from the outset and I have seen nothing to change my view. Sorry for
rehashing this argument, for those of you who have heard me on this before,
but I still feel strongly that this is a very poor idea.

Introducing new words - not just new terms, but new collections of letters
that have previously never had a meaning at all - seems like a very poor
way to make specifications (and simply our technology) more approachable.

I have always avoided this new word, and will continue to do so, as the
rare specification that introduces a new top-level element will never be
made more simple by saying "This specification adds a new furbley bloople
ding dong - now go and read XEP-0987 for an entire document on what
this might mean.". As an industry, we are rightly chastised for introducing
pointless jargon. It is a clear barrier to entry for newcomers, and should
always be avoided.

The situation becomes even worse in the circumstances of a chatroom or
conversation, by making it more impenetrable that it likely already is.
Casual conversations do not have convenient footnotes and reference
sections.

Of course jargon inevitably accumulates - stanza is an obvious example, but
if I mention CSI, or PEP most people on this list will know what those mean
- but these are essentially shorthands for a large volume of information.
This specification simply introduces a word for top-level elements that are
not stanzas. That's six words to cover the entire XEP.

The rest of the XEP just adds additional words. These are sometimes
questionable, and other times useless.

Section 4 says that usually, top-level elements that are not stanzas that
are exchanged prior to resource binding are request-response. And after
resource binding, they're usually not request/response. Though in fact,
some of the most common examples are the reverse - XEP-0198 uses <r/> and
<a/> exchanges, whereas <stream:features/> has no response as such.

Section 5 tells me that top-level elements that aren't stanzas MUST NOT be
routed. So, wait - a server that's compliant to this won't route these
elements? OK. And if a server isn't compliant to this, what does this mean?
These are not interoperability requirements, these are just statements of
fact. Stanzas being routable top-level elements, it is axiomatic that a
top-level element that is not a stanza is not routed. We do not need to
wave an RFC 2119 statement around to ensure this is the case.

Is a server that offers XEP-0114 not compliant with XEP-0360, since XEP-360
references only RFC 6120? Or do we use the informal definition that talks
about "element name" - does this mean the local name? Does this mean that a
top-level element of <message xmlns="urn:xmpp:not-the-default-namespace"/>
is in fact a Stanza by the definition of XEP-0360?

None of this serves - or can serve - to clarify an existing protocol to a
new reader.

> 2. Does the specification solve the problem stated in the introduction
> and requirements?

I dispute there was ever a problem, whereas it has added a new problem by
its existence.

As I recall, one of the suggested problems was that people might be
confused about what top-level elements to count in XEP-0198, maybe around
whether to count CSI elements - yet neither specification has ever
introduced the term.

> 3. Do you plan to implement this specification in your code? If not,
> why not?

I have never used the new word in a specification I have written or
contributed to, and will continue to avoid doing so. "This specification
introduces a new top-level element <foo/>, qualified by the urn:xmpp:bar:0
namespace - it is not routable and MUST NOT be considered a stanza."

Infinitely simpler, and usually overkill.

My concerns are not security related.

Anything that introduces a new made-up word cannot, almost by definition,
count as clearly written.