I think advice and a recommended course of action promotes
interoperability, and is backwards compatible. XEP-0001 also says such
modifications must be optional; obviously a SHOULD is not a MAY here, but I
think it's fairly clear that a decision to assume that an entity not
including disco#info within its disco#info response has ramifications which
should properly be understood prior to doing so.

IOW, I think this remains within the spirit, albeit not the letter, of the
Final requirements.