On Wed, 5 Jun 2024 at 02:07, Peter Saint-Andre <stpe...@stpeter.im> wrote:

> On 6/3/24 3:02 AM, Goffi wrote:
>
> > All feedback from experienced community members is valuable, and I see no
> > reason why council feedback should matter more.
>
> This is a very important point.
>
> Council members are not special people with special insight - they are
> simply community members who are temporarily serving in a role that is
> necessary within our standards process.

Well, indeed. The question is, should their decisions be based solely on
their own knowledge and ability, or should they based on a reading of
community consensus, or some mixture?

And if Council is acting at least to some degree as the enforcers of
community consensus, then it ought to have the capability to enforce it
outside of two cases (one of which it seems apparent we don't want).

> When I was elected to the IESG, I wrote [1] the following quote on my
> whiteboard: "Power tends to corrupt." --Lord Acton

Lord Acton was only partly right - it doesn't inevitably corrupt, but it
always produces a lot of waste heat.

Dave