On 7/5/24 8:31 AM, Guus der Kinderen wrote:
Hello!

XEP-0045 Multi-User Chat, section 9.2 defines that the ban list is always based on a user's bare JID (in the first paragraph).

That same section also defines a matching order (in the last paragraph) in which items with a full JID are explicitly included.

This seems to contradict each other. Am I misunderstanding this part of the specification?

Assuming that full JID values aren't to be used on a ban-list, should the matching order as defined in the XEP be modified to not refer to full JIDs?

Hallo Guus,

I suspect the spec originally said that matching is done on the basis of a bare JID <user@domain> and then we tried to align the matching with Privacy Lists / XEP-0016.

In practice I don't know if MUC implementations allow banning based on a domain, but in theory that could be a helpful feature (e.g., to block arbitrary accounts from rogue servers). However, to avoid confusion I would suggest that banning not take account of the resourcepart.

Peter