  You're right. For example the file utf8_codecvt_facet.hpp:

#include <locale>
// for mbstate_t
#include <wchar.h>
// for std::size_t
#include <cstddef>

#include <boost/config.hpp>
#include <boost/detail/workaround.hpp>

namespace std {
    #if defined(__LIBCOMO__)
        using ::mbstate_t;
    #elif defined(BOOST_DINKUMWARE_STDLIB)
        using ::mbstate_t;
    #elif defined(__SGI_STL_PORT)
    #elif defined(BOOST_NO_STDC_NAMESPACE)
        using ::mbstate_t;
        using ::codecvt;
    #endif
} // namespace std

[...]

struct BOOST_UTF8_DECL utf8_codecvt_facet :
    public std::codecvt<wchar_t, char, std::mbstate_t>
{

[...]

  Here #included wchar.h header file and then mbstate_t introduced into
namespace std for some implementations.

Farid.