Hi Marc,

From the Jira manual it sounds like you need to have the Assign Issues
permission in order to assign issues, and that the Jira administrator decides
who gets to have that permission. I also don't have this permission but so far
I haven't had the need for it so I'm afraid I can't offer any suggestion for
how to go about obtaining it.

http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/docs/latest/permissions.html#permission_schemes

-- Mark