I suspect there might be some low hanging fruit in the form of tests
that are simply timing out due the sheer volume of data they process.

Specifically, the ctype tests (22.locale.ctype, 22.locale.ctype.is,
22.locale.ctype.mt, 22.locale.ctype.narrow, 22.locale.ctype.tolower
and 22.locale.ctype.toupper) all time out and fail with SIGHUP in
all builds on AIX.

See the following report for AIX 5.3:
http://people.apache.org/~sebor/stdcxx/results/aix-5.3-ppc-vacpp-9.0.html

I suspect it's because the tests exercise the facet in all locales
installed on the system. I checked one of our AIX servers and locale
-a reports 603 installed locales! That's almost twice as many as on
Linux and Solaris and nearly four times as many as on HP-UX. IMO,
it's excessive to be exhaustively test the facet in every single
installed locale on any platform. I'm sure we can safely reduce
the set to just a few representative locales in the most popular
encodings (ISO-8859-*, UTF-8, EUC, and probably BIG5 and GB18030).

Martin