The READ LONG command returns vendor-specific data containing:
a) user data or transformed user data
b) protection information or transformed protection information
c) additional information (e.g. ECC bytes)

"Transformed" means the bytes might not contain the literal
user data or p.i. - e.g. it could be encoded different than
8 bits per byte.   The ECC could be scattered throughout; it's
not always appended to the end.

It is not possible to reliably retrive the user data or
protection information from READ LONG data (vendor-specific
instructions would be needed).  If you READ LONG from one
LBA on a particular drive and WRITE LONG to:
different LBA: might work
different drive, same vendor/model: might work
different drive, same vendor, different model: might work
different vendor's drive: probably won't work

You can issue a READ command with the RDPROTECT field in
the CDB set to 011b to return the user data + protection
information, but disable checking of all the fields along
the way.

WRITE with WRPROTECT = 011b does the same for writes.
That disables one of the main benefits - letting the disk
drive check the fields before writing bad data to the medium.

--
Rob Elliott, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
https://ecardfile.com/id/RobElliott